Tuesday, June 30, 2015

My Favourite Overnight Oats | A Breakfast Staple


Overnight oats are an internet sensation right now, and it's for a good reason! They take only minutes to make so they save a lot of time in busy mornings, they're really healthy, and they taste delicious if they're made correctly! I loved making these on school nights, because it saved a ton of time in the morning... but now that school's over, I've still been making them a lot! 
They're also super healthy compared to most other breakfasts: the oats, chia seeds, bananas and berries are full of healthy fibre; chia seeds also contain a lot of healthy omega-3 fats, and the soy milk has a lot of calcium and vitamin D. The breakfast looks small, but it's super filling, and it's a great energy boost to kickstart your day! Here's my all time favourite recipe that I decided on through experimenting. Enjoy!




Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup oats (I use Quaker quick cooking oats)
  • 1/2 cup soy milk—I love using Silk's vanilla milk for some flavour!
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • Fresh fruit of your choice. 
    • I recommend a banana for sweetness, and some berries, but experiment and find your favourite flavours!
Combine all of the ingredients (except the fresh fruit)



Mix it up! Then cover the container and stick it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, take it out of the fridge, give it a stir and pile on the fresh fruit! I sometimes chop things like strawberries the night before and keep them in a separate container overnight to save time. (Fruits like bananas are better chopped in the morning because they will brown!)

Have you tried overnight oats yet? If not, give this recipe a try and let me know how it goes! I'd love to hear how it turns out, and what your favourite toppings are! x

6 comments :

  1. This would save me a lot of time in the mornings! How yummy does that look!

    www.sophieslittlesecrets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds and looks delicious, definitely going to try this recipe out! :)
    Urban Obsessions // Vegan Food & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Mia! Hope it goes well :)

      Delete

2